Re: [MV] Saving Ryan's Privates

From: Brian & Myrna Gough (brianmyrna@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 15:41:42 PST

Geoff and the List,

You are right about a great static display. One repro Horsa
fuselage is in Preston Isaac's Cobbaton Combat Collection in
Chittlehampton, N. Devon, UK.

The collection guide book says, "Replica Horsa Glider Fuselage,

This fuselage was built in Holland as a very accurate copy,
during the making of the film A Bridge Too Far, and was
used for glider interior shots. After filming was completed
it was taken back to Cornwall by the late Charles Mann,
who had supplied the WWII vehicles for the film, and was
displayed at his Museum at Lamanva. I purchased the glider
with the Jeep inside at the closing down sale in May 1993.
Now reassembled, it depicts a Horsa carrying men of the 12th
Battalion the Devonshire Regiment, who as part of the 6th
Air Landing Brigade landed in the Ranville area on D-Day."

I was fortunate to visit Preston's museum in 1995 and
recommend it highly from the standpoint of the displays and
his hospitality.

Brian Gough
Oshawa, ON