Re: [MV] GPW XFER CASE ASSEMBLY QUESTION

From: fv74@altavista.net
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 04:35:26 PST

Bob

 ---- you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ive gotten my trasfer case cleaned, sandblasted and pained. Looks as new.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1). I am assembling the transfer case drive and range shifter housing. I have installed a replacement drive
> shaft/drive yoke seal flush with the case.

The seal should be pressed in until it bottoms on the gasket underneath it. If it is out too far, the pinion yoke will drag on it. Use a piece of pipe to tap the seal home if the t-case is assembled.

> 2). I haven't gotten to this point yet, but I need to know if it is
> necessary to use a press to install the tapered roller bearing races into
> the main case.

You can use a piece of pipe to squarely tap in this bearing race also. Be aware that the shaft end play is adjusted by the shim stack that is underneath the speedometer pinion housing. I try to get one to two thousandths of an inch preload on tapered roller bearings in this type of application.

> I thank you all for any assistance you may provide.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob K.

Dave Fillman
45 MB