Re: [MV] M-151A2's in Sudan

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 18:02:59 PST

Licensing is almost non-existant when it comes to gov't contracts. The
gov't wants a particular type of vehicle, and when contracts are signed the
vehicle/designs become the property of the gov't. unless other arrangements
are made. Ford designed/introduced the family of 151 vehicles and the
engine was pretty much all Ford. If nothing else, one of the greatest
features of the 151 engine is that it uses a Ford "F1" oil filter! I cannot
think of a filter that is more common than that one. Almost every Ford
uses/used that filter. I know of no other vehicle that used that engine
except an old Ford tractor (diesel) that used that "footprint". If you
wanted to manufacture a vehicle using that engine, I would say that you
could make all you want with no royalties. I know that one of the comments
that AMG made 30 years ago, "We wanted to show Ford that WE were in the jeep
business, and WE succeeded!"

Your jeep nut, Julian Burke

> You'll find the lineage for the M151 engine in the 134 cu inch ford ag
tractor engine of the early 50's. The two were designed side by side,
totally by Ford Motor Company engineers. There were subsequent and varied
distribution schemes to get the engines made and sent to contract holders,
but the design was all ford. I wonder how licensing was handled, because I
know that the engine design shows up in non-ford commercial products other
than the M151. Anyone know?