[MV] Land Rover consulting wanted...

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 03:52:39 PST

>Hi list, i can see you are a Land Rover fan too. that
>good for me because i want to buy one and i have no
>way to get neutral info about it.I heard the LR
>were(was) manufactured under license in Spain or
>Brasil and they were re-named as Land Rover
>Santana...It's that true? if is:wich Land Rover is
>more reliable :the british or the spanish (brasilian
>or whatever)?
>Is there a better year-model than other?What is it
>major defects and common problems? Were 70's Land
>Rover equiped with a diesel engine? Can i install a
>diesel engine and keep remaining OEM? What commercial
>diesel engine(not land rover...it is too expensive)
>can i install in a Land rover and keep all the
>fuctions of the vehicle?
>
>I'll be gratefull if you or anyone can answer this
>Land Rover's amateur question.
>
>Thanks in advance. Jose Astudillo( from caribean with
> desperation )

If you think the Land Rover diesel is to expensive and others aren't then
you should be looking for a gas engine.The LR diesel is one of the cheapest
to rebuild and under ideal conditions I have seen mileage figures of as high
as 45 miles to the gallon(Canadian gallon that is),and well maintained
motors get 300,000 miles no problem.For a crude 3 main bearing crank engine
this is remarkable.
I have done several diesel and other engine conversions for many people and
I am still impressed with the stock engines.
Some of the motors I have installed or was consulted on-3 series Toyota
diesel,3 liter and 3.4.,Nissan diesel 2.2 and 3.5,Mercedes diesel(current
project)240 and 300.Perkins/Mazda 3 liter diesel,215/3.5 aluminum V8,4.6
aluminum V8 from a Range Rover,Chev inline 6-235,250 and 292,Buick
V6-231,chev V6 2.8,ford v6-2.8 and 2.9.Chev small block 350.And probably a
few more I have forgotten.I have been a LR mechanic for about 20 years now.
Shop around.I have seen good used LR diesels 2.25 and 2.5 selling for
between $1000 and $2000 CDN.
Andre