Re: [MV] AM General is preventing HMMWV Registrations

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 09:12:05 PST

Attention John,

"......... I still have the plates and will consult with a lawyer as to my
course of action. The AM General letter does state that the HMMWV does not
meet FMVSS requirements. I'm curious then as to why that when I took it
through inspection no one at the CT DMV inspection center picked up any of
these issues and therefore passed the vehicle."

DMV does not generally look for this kind of stuff, highly irregular at most
DMV locations and probably slipped by because of that fact.

I was thinking about buying one of these vehicles too. Glad I didn't now. I
visited the auction web site, called the auction, I even talked to a couple
of dealers, but in the end I decided that since these vehicles were being
advertised as off road use only, absolutely not for on road use and they
could not be registered, I declined.

There was a tremendous amount of publicity over this fact, they were sold
strictly as off road vehicles and the government made it very, very clear.. of
f road use only.

The resale dealers who bid on them were under no illusions. They knew that
if they tried to registered these vehicles they were doing so under false
pretenses and against existing law, whether you agree with the law or not, it
was still the law at the time. These guys were telling me not to pay any
attention to this BS or the laws about an off road problem, that they could
get them registered once they had them. Seemed kind of dishonest to me and
I chose not to get involved.

I didn't see the paper work because I was not a dealer, but I would be
willing to bet there was a disclosure form they signed at the auction to
acknowledge this fact. A form that somehow didn't make it into your
inventory.

Greed makes people do a lot of things that aren't right and used car dealers
are not the icons for honesty.... I think you have a problem with the guy
that sold you an off road vehicle illegally, under false pretenses.

Better get your money back because you are going to be spending a lot of
money fighting this and the outcome probably won't be in you favor. Not only
that, but you won't be the only guy after the dealer. While you are fighting
DMV other buyers are getting their money back from the dealer. Better get
your cash back before the line starts, while he still has some assets left.

That's my 2 cents worth...

Jack