Re: [MV] AM General is preventing HMMWV Registrations

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 10:10:36 PST

jonathon <jemery@execpc.com> wrote:
> According to Lee Holland (President of MVPA) whom I spoke to about this last
> summer, one of these requiements that the hmmwv does not meet is that there
> is no place on the rear bumper to mount a license plate.

That particular item really steams me. It took me an afternoon to
fabricate a bracket, using metal stock from a hobby shop, to securely
mount my rear plate as per CA Vehicle Code requirements, including a
DOT-approved license plate light. I bolted it onto the truck without
drilling any holes, using two existing bolts already on the truck, and
I wired it to turn on whenever the marker lights are on, without
cutting any wires (I used a "Y" adapter on the left marker light
wire).

If I have to Velcro some padding onto my dash when I'm on the road to
protect my precious face, or replace my steering column with one that
won't impale me, then so be it. I plan to install the 3-point seatbelt
mod anyway, as soon as I get my hands on one (note: That's not just a
bolt-in job. Doing it right involves adding some bonded and riveted
reinforcement plates. Not trivial, but not a big deal, either.). I'd
probably add any other safety-related original military modifications
anyway, as an easy way to improve my safety without taking my vehicle
out of a military configuration. But if they're going to use the lack
of a license plate bracket to deny me the use of my vehicle... grrr!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/