Re: [MV] AM General is preventing HMMWV Registrations

From: Chuck Chriss (cchriss@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 21:45:47 PST

Thank you, John, for posting the letter and the great photo of the HMMWV in
question. Having the letter available helps clarify at least some of the
issues.

I see that AM General wrote to the Connecticut DMV in response to a "recent
telephone conversation". While not explicitly stated, it sounds like
someone in the Connecticut DMV started this by contacting AM General rather
than some effort by AMG directed to all the states.

Nothing in the letter gives a specific reason to deny registration. They
say they didn't intend for private use and they oppose it, but they only say
"...vehicle does not comply with FMVSS requirements for commercial
automobiles..." As several MV listers have noted, the requirements may only
apply to the manufacturer. Since the vehicle complied with requirements
when built for the Government, the manufacturer met its obligations. Since
you have an unrestricted Form 97, there may not be any obligation on your
part or on the part of the State of CT.

On the other hand, you may find "fine print" in the law giving the CT DMV
the power to deny registration to any vehicle due to special circumstances,
at the discretion of the Commissioner, or something similar. In that case,
a quick pre-emptive approach to the DMV Director by a well-connected lawyer
may be your best strategy rather than trying to slug it out with the staff.

You are fighting a fight for all of us. I am sure you will get lots of
advise, help, and support.

Best regards,
Chuck

chuck@olive-drab.com