Re: [MV] R & R water dist. tube on M37

From: Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 09:02:33 PST

If the tube is really ROTTEN and it only comes out in chunks, I'd suggest the
following sequence:

1) Get as much of the tube out as possible manually. You may have to use a rod and
a hammer to loosen up the pieces.
2) Drag a magnet through the openings in the block to try to remove as many pieces
of metal as possible.
3) Use a pressure washer to blast out the water jacket. Hopefully, this will blow
out any loose chunks of metal/rust/scale.
4) Check inside the water jacket for any stray pieces of crud that could block
something and interrupt the water flow. A borescope is very nice for this purpose.

Additional or alternate steps (if you're doing a total teardown and want the block
to be absolutely pristine inside):

5) Have the block "boiled" in a caustic soda solution to remove rust, paint, and
scale. This should loosen up any remaining pieces of the tube. There are still
some shops around that do this, although a lot of places now just jet-wash the
blocks, which is not as effective. Note: Strip ALL parts from the block completely
before boiling it, as the caustic soda will eat the camshaft bearings and certain
other alloys.
6) Then have the shop jet wash the block to blast out all passages and the water
jacket.
7) Drag a magnet through the block again to pick up any stray pieces of metal.
8) Check for debris inside the water jacket again.

Hope that helps a bit.

Alan