Bedford OYD versus Bedford OXD

From: Tim Bell (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 01:45:27 PST

Uh oh... another British Vehicle question....

I'm currently trying to get a complete serviceable rear body for my Bedford
OYD - the original is too badly corroded to provide anything more than a
rough pattern - it was also extensively modified for use as a tipper and
some of the modifications are irreversible and would require the parts to be
completely remanufactured.

If anyone out there has a serviceable rear body available - in the UK...
possibly northern europe - I would be interested in hearing from them.

I have been offered a serviceable cargo body from a Bedford OXD (30 cwt) -
this is obiously going to be shorter... but by how much ?

The Bedford OYD body is 4 panel sections long, each section approximately 34
1/2 inches long, giving a total length of approximately 138 inches.

Does anyone know the measurements for the Bedford OXD. I had a look at one
recently only to find it had originally been a Bedford OY body that had been
cut down and extensively altered to fit the OX. The OX Body I viewed was 102
inches long.... 138-102=36... sufficiently close to be one section
shorter... but is it ?

If the panel lengths of the body I've been offered are similar to that of
the OY, then I'd consider getting the body lengthened to do the job.

The body on offer has wooden sides... my original has steel. The OY Chassis
number indicates a build date of 1940... anyone know why wood was used
instead of steel - was it an early pattern or a late pattern, or did it vary
depending on manufacture run.

I also need to find some new (old) wooden "runners" (not sure if this is the
correct name). These are the timber sections that run the length of the rear
chassis onto which the rear body is mounted - I dont have these at all on
mine - At a guess they measure 3 inches by 6 or 8 inches and are 138 inches
long. These would have been made from some type of hardwood - anyone know
what ? If I can get these in a serviceable condition from a scrapped
vehicle, then great, otherwise I will have to get them made... I've already
been to my local "Jewsons" timber yard and they total me "you cant get
timber to those measurements" - I dont believe that for a moment - can
anyone suggest a company in the UK I could try ?

I also need to find a UK scrapyard with Bedford OY's in where the owner is
willing to part with bits... can anyone recommend anywhere ?

Many Thanks

Tim