Value of M38A1 parts , FOR M38A1 experts (LONG, semi-demented, Rambling)

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 09:54:28 PST

Hi all:
    Recently a lister posted the following items for sale:

> Subject: [MV] M38A1 parts for sale
>

> > I have the following parts for sale.
> >
> > 1. Complete A1 frame with leaf springs.
> > 2. A1 engine, trans, transfer case. Engine has been
> strippe dof ad on parts.
> > 3. A1 drive shafts.
> > 4. A1 Axles. Taken apart and some wheel parts missing
but
> rest is there.

Make me an offer on some
> or all.

I replied with:

> Hi ....:
> How much do you want for the motor-tranny- transfer?
> When was engine last run and how long has it been stored
in
> disassembled condition?
> How much for the whole package ( items 1-4)?
> Regards, Ron MVPA 18999

I got the following reply:

     "Ron,

The engine was last run about 2 years ago. Ran strong. Been
in garage.
Cylinders were oiled with marvel.
    I don't know what the whole package is worth honestly. I
know the engine and
trans and transfer case are worth the most of anything but
not sure about
the rest. I tell you what. Make me an offer if you are
interested. Something
reasonable and we can talk. If you would rather I put a
price on it I will
ask around and find out."

    I don't want to insult the guy with some low ball price
nor show my ignorance ( except in some world wide
forum/list such as this) on how much I don't know about the
hobby. That said here is where I stand in the hobby:

     1) I have 4 M38A1's holding down the yard.
     2) Latest one was bought in August for $300-- it has
plow and hardtop (rusttop) and is a non runner with frozen
engine. Cheesy body painted canary yellow and winched out of
the guys backyard after not moving for three years.After
cutting belts off, determined Plow Pump was NOT the reason
motor won't turn over.
     3) Other 3 I have had for upwards of 15 years for the
longest ( and only runner) one which last ran 9 years ago
and was determined last summer to have frozen up due to
blown head gasket with rusting of #3 + 4 cyls during its
wait to be looked at . Other two are acting as organ donors
for primary vehicle with one frozen motor and other donating
it's engine when it was discovered to have frozen exhaust
valve/guides but otherwise turned freely. Tweety (as the
kids call it) was purchased because of 1) Price 2) Price and
3) Because it supposedly ran last year so was a promising
candidate as donor for the heart transplant.
    A good friend who has done many engine rebuilds on small
and large block chevys said we (HE) could probably get a
runner in a couple of weekends work, if I had the right
tools, of which he gave me a list of in must have, makes
life simpler and nice to have categories. So , I bought an
engine stand, engine lift etc., and pulled donee's engine
and chucked it up in the stand and he came over and in under
2 hours I have a bare block in the stand with 3 thousand
ziplocks labeled with pithy things like MB 1, EV 4, oil pan
bolts, Gen. mt bolts ,HD bolts etc., which after looking
over says we can probably get by with most of after we
replace a couple of valve guides, valve job and a bearing or
two. He then proceeded to throw his back out followed by a
full Vapor Lock ( the nerve of some people , huh?). Luckily
he had his AAA Plus card so the paramedics jump started him
and he's got enough strength back now to want to try and
trip over something in my garage again.
   4) Also in the garage (the missus refers to it as the
transfer station-- since that's where rubbish goes first for
sorting) is an M715 with a 90% rebuilt motor I got from a
friend whose missus decided to trade him in and he had no
place to store it and needed a refrigerator more then the
truck and since I had a refrigerator surplus to my needs and
no sense... well... feces occurs. And we won't mention the
M116A1 trailer with 2 Tango Uniform 5K Gen. sets, or the
three H1 heaters... all on 15k square feet. The neighbors
gotta love me...
    5) I always seem to trip over "deals". Don't go looking
for stuff and always have paid little moneys for all the
above. Missus calls it the "Lost Puppy Syndrome", as in, "
it followed me home..." Hence the above junk and still
married.
    The folks in the Merrimack Valley Military Vehicle
Collectors, which they allowed me to join (everybody has
lapses of common sense now and then), feel I am an
embarrassment and have suggested having a club project
weekend to sort out what I got and try to get something
running or have an intervention to have me go cold turkey on
the smell of waterproofed OD canvas (I think they sense
blood in the water). If I pull a vapor lock, my wife has
instructed the kids to put up yard sale signs, call down
the club members list and inform them of the sale, and then
take the first $200 cash for everything and then call 911,
in that order. She already has a message in the DRAFTS
folder to this list with Subject "Motor Pool for Sale" to be
sent after 911 call.

        So, in case you dozed off somewhere above, the
questions are what are the parts the gentleman is offering
worth and are there any rules of thumb to follow when
haggling? I just wanna get something running so I don't have
to ride Ralph in everybody else's vehicle this summer.
        TIA, Regards, Ron MVMVC #97
                                          MVPA #18999
                                          Specializing in OD
lawn art (kinda like the cows in downtown Chicago)

PS Free, tongue in cheek, Homer Simpson tech tip-- Forget
WD-40 or Kroil. Buy a 3/4 inch drive air impact gun and a
3/4 x1/2 and a 1/2 x3/8 and 3/8 x1/4 socket adapters. When
disassembling engines and things, just use the required
adapters to fit the right size socket on the bolt, lean into
the gun and you don't have to worry about that clockwise
,counter clockwise crap! Things come apart instantly, no
matter how long it's been assembled or which way the puppy's
supposed to turn. I am planning on getting a 1 inch impact
to work on the M715. ;-)