Re: [MV] M35 Engine Changes

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 06:05:13 PST

>.. In practice they have perhaps a 30%
>advantage

OK, so I was wrong, it's nut just under 100%.... but then I just ran some
numbers on two engines I am familiar with and I come up with a 50% advantage
as far as hp/cuin.

1) A 2.4L (144cuin) NA 4 stroke Diesel rated at 62hp means 0.431 hp/cuin.

2) A 3-53 Detroit (159 cuin) NA (other than the scavenger pump) 2 stroke
Diesel rated at 103hp means 0.648 hp/cuin.

That's 50% higher.

But then getting back to the original question, why not put in a Cummins
like the military is doing in thier repower program?

je

 and then they need to turn a higher rpm to get the horsepower