How Hot is Hot

From: Ian Wallace (iwallace@uswest.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 14:10:08 PST

Ferret & Saracen Owners - how hot do your bevel boxes and hubs get after a
brisk drive? Warm? Hot? Too hot to hold your hand on them? I have just
checked the level of all fluids in the drive train and now I am curious how
toasty these gear boxes get. I certainly don't want to fry a seal, but on
the other hand if it's sort of like a car or truck, the drive train gets
pretty hot after freeway speeds (50 mph for 5 miles or so), and that's
normal. I'm using the recommended weight gear lube, all up to the level of
the "check" plugs.

Ian Wallace
1960 Ferret Mk 2/3