M-578

From: David W. Brubaker (b52d@southwind.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 20:45:28 PST

I am in the process of acquiring an M-578 for a museum that I volunteer at and am looking for any information that would be helpful in "waking" this beast up from a two year storage. At this point I only know "That it ran when it was parked", you all know how that can go. I drove one of these once in 76 because they wanted me licensed for tracked vehicles, that was the last time I ever touched one, go figure. It was kinda fun, though the M-60 was a lot more fun, as joy riding goes.

I will not have the vehicle for a month, possible more, but thought it best to be prepared. Are there tech manuals available still for this? The cheaper the better, shipping for this thing is gonna be murder.

Also, I am looking for a CVC helmet that will work in this vehicle. Anybody out there that can point me to one, it would be appreciated. If there are any special patch cords or stuff like that I should know about, I could sure stand to get educated on this matter as well. Is it necessary to have a radio installed to run the interphone system?

Thanks to the group for any help that it might provide.

David and Donna Brubaker
Member - MVPA
1972 M151A2 U.S. Air Force Security Police
http://WWW2.Southwind.net/~b52d

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

                      -- Benjamin Franklin
                         Nov 11 1755, from the Pennsylvania Assembly