Enigma Theft - Further info

From: Tim Bell (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 05:45:24 PDT

Everyone

I have the following additional information about the stolen Enigma Machine:

The Serial # of the Abwehr machine is G-312...
The 3 wheels are similarly marked G-312 [I, II, III].

One easy way to recognise an Abwehr machine is by the counter (like a car
odometer), above the keyboard on the right. This gave the number of letters
enciphered. The Abwehr Enigma was therefore also known as the "counter
Enigma" or the "Zählwerke" machine.

Thanks

Tim Bell
Bletchley Park Museum