Re: [MV] Enigma Theft - Further info

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 10:07:09 PDT

RayfieldRS@hqda.army.mil writes:

<< Should we see the stolen Enigma machine, ser no G-312 at a gun show or
 someplace for sale, who do we call, what law enforcement agency has this on
 file as stolen?

 Stew Rayfield
 Maj USMC (Ret) >>

Immediately report this to the nearest law enforcement agency. They can
verify if it is stolen in a matter of seconds.

In the US cops all use a national identification service, that can also
include Canada if a special request is made. This is called NCIC, AKA Nat'l
Criminal Information Center. They track stolen property among other things.

It's been a few years now since I've used them, but I believe Interpol has
the same ability and is linked to NCIC, so the Enigma should show up as
stolen on the US system, even if it's been stolen in England, but, again it
has to be done by special request. It's a great service, they can run the
serial number on almost any item and tell you if its stolen or not from
western Europe.

Happy hunting... would be a good case to solve, eh?

Jack