Re: [MV] 5 Ton Wrecker Towing Capacity Question

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 15:50:54 PDT

If you want maximum towing capacity, get a cargo bed 5 ton. The wrecker boom and gear add a lot of
weight (about 15K lbs) to the weight of the truck. A cargo truck doesn't have this added burden for
towing. My 1 ton Chevy dually will move 14K lbs on a gooseneck with no problem. My 5 ton M51 dump is
rated at towing 30K lbs on the road. So you can see that 14 K lbs on a trailer behind a 5 ton will not
be a big deal.

Dave