M416 Trailer question

From: M371951@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 17:02:49 PDT

Hello all,
   I've owned 3 M416 trailers in the last 5 years, but I'm puzzled by the one
I have now. I realize they are made so that the Tow Ring will give for off
road conditions, but my current one spins around like a PinWheel! It is
causing problems because I use it with a Swiss Pinzgauer 710M which unlike
the US jeeps, has a swiveling pintle hitch. I find that after driving
several miles the Tow Ring and the Pintle hitch will both be off camber to
the extreme, and for some reason it will drag the trailer sideways during
turning. But....both the Pintle and Tow Ring will piviot with no effort when
tested by hand!!! My other M416's never swiveled unless it was in an
extreme off camber position with a lot of weight in the trailer.

   Is it supposed to swivel that freely (the Tow Ring)? Any suggestions
other than welding the Tow Ring in place?

Thanks guys,
Andy Purser,
North Carolina