MB/GPW Ignition System

From: Brown, Herb (BRown@ida.org)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 05:48:55 PDT

I asked this question before, but did not get any answers -- Didn't know if
the question got through to the list. so here goes again>

Puting things back to gether on my engine, and have the following questions:

1) One of the figures in the manual (Figure 32 of TM 9-803) shows a
grounding strap. I can't tell where either end of this strap attaches.
Does it go to the ignition coil, to the distributor, to the engine, etc. --
where? ( I seem to recall someone saying that the original ignition
coils for the WWII Jeeps had a grounding strap attaching to the bottom of
the coil. If this is the case, will I need a different coil? This is being
restored to a 6V system.)

2) I Know that the primary cable leads from one of the side posts on the
ignition coil to the side of the distributor. However, I am not sure which
terminal (the + or -)? I assume it attaches to the positive terminal of the
ignition coil, but we all know what happens when one assumes.

Thanks, Herb