M37 Update: Compression readings

From: Lisa (jeepcj8@home.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 19:48:35 PDT

Hi everyone!
Got the engine back together after replacing head and
manifold gaskets. Decided to do a dry/wet compression test
as a baseline. Here are the dry/wet + differences :
1. 95/100 + 5
2. 85/ 95 +10
3. 90/105 +15
4. 95/110 +15
5. 70/ 90 +20
6. 45/60 +15

I can see why the previous owner thought he had a blown
gasket between 5 & 6. Inspecting the old water distribution
tube, we noticed it was plugged at the end, where 5 & 6
receive their coolant. Without coolant, these cylinders are
going to run hotter and wear faster. This engine was rebuilt
at the Pueblo Army Depot in '71, ant the bore and pistons
are std. (original). The main & rod bearings are -.010"
The pistons are stamped with the last 4 digits of the engine
serial number. My big question is this: will cylinders 5 & 6
fire at this low compression?
Thanks as always for your knowledge and advice,
Lisa
Mesa, AZ
52 M37
52 M38