Re: [MV] Oil Aging...

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 20:33:08 PDT

I think the key is don't start and stop an engine. Short trips and short duration
runs really contaminate the oil. I have a number of vehicles, most are non mil
items. I try and start them up at least once every three months and run them for
about a half an hour even if they go nowhere. They have to get into the normal
operating temp range and stay there for at least 15 minutes I believe. The best
thing is to run vehicles at least every month on the road to really get the oil in
the trans and diffs circulating. I have one car which I have owned for 24 years
now and I change the oil in it about once every 2-3 years. It is taken out of the
garage only once or twice per year. When I start it up it runs for at least 30
minutes at a fast idle to get it throughly warmed up. So far it has held up just
fine and I have never seen a sludging, oil breakdown, or corrosion problem yet.
I have a van that I have had for 19 years and I run it only during the spring and
fall for maybe 800 miles per year. I change the oil in that once a year. The big
problem I have is with brakes. If you have conventional brake fluid, and don't
bleed the brakes yearly it seems that the corrosion just catches up with the
equipment and cylinders start freezing up. That's why I think silicone is the way
to go, but that's another topic.

Dave