Re: A belated thanks to those on the list and new MV part in the stable

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 05:22:17 PDT

            A while back, I asked for some help from people in the Cleveland
area who could help evaluate a potential purchase. I had asked for a
digital camera-equipped person with aviation experience, . I wanted to
thank all who responded. The seller actually came through with the photos,
so I didn't need the services offered. My most gracious thanks to those who
responded. I really appreciate it, and I hope to be able to reciprocate
your assistance.

            What I was able to purchase was a 99.7% complete Indian Model
741 power pack in NOS condition (I now have the three missing parts). The
motor is a 30.50 cubic inch motor based on the cases and flywheels of a
larger 45 cubic inch motor. The primary drive and clutch power an aluminum
cased 3 speed unsynchronized transmission. Indian made these as drop-in,
drive-off units for replacement in the 741. There were so many made during
WWII that surplus ones were selling for $25.00 right after the war. It
consists of the engine, the primary drive with clutch assembly,
transmission, and generator. The generator was included as part of the
package because it was driven with a chain partially encased by the clutch
housing. This unit could be bolted onto a 741 in 3 hours or less and the
bike could be driven away with minimal adjustment.
            The history of this engine is interesting. The original owner
bought it after the war for $25.00, and intended to make an air boat out of
it. It sat in his basement for 30 years until the last owner saw it sitting
on the floor. A Harley Davidson rider (God help him), he figured out what
it was by the Edison Indian spark plugs, which are the only things on this
piece which said Indian. The original owner said he could have it if he
could carry it to the door. He did, and it sat in his basement for another
20 years until I bought it. During the time it occupied his basement, some
one at a party robbed both the nice Edison Indian spark plugs off of it. I
found a pair of nice used ones last week. The other part missing was the
generator cover, but I had one with the project bike.

I will post photos of this on my site, Indian on the Warpath,
http://www.astory.com/motorcycle/warpath

Thanks again to all those who offered to help. I thought you'd be
interested to hear how it came out.

john@astory.com
http://www.astory.com