Here's one from waaaay out on left field...

From: William R. Benson (Benson@eqe.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 14:30:43 PDT

Hi folks!

At the risk of alienating all of the purists in the group...

In keeping with the military thinking of the mighty U.S. of A. (and, to a
certain extent, our friends over the border and across the sea), our military
industries occasionally create objects of intrigue and curiosity sure to whet
the appetite of the most experienced Hollywood special effects designer.
Objects fantastic in appearance that have NO EARTHY FUNCTION WHATSOEVER... Sort
of a "left-handed widgit polisher" and the like...

I am seeking curious optics and other pieces of high speed, low drag technology
for which to build a spaceship in the back yard for my five year old son. This
spaceship, powered by imagination, cannot be the simple hollow paper towel tubes
I enjoyed as a child, oh no, thanks to Mssrs. Lucas, Spielburg, and Scott, my
son's spaceship needs to have optics, lasergun sighting systems, and greeblies
of all shapes and sizes.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I come before you with tuckersack in hand to beg borrow,
or buy at a very low price, interesting optics, switches, dead CRTs, and such
that might be sitting on a dusty shelf waiting to be installed into that
battlestar or heavy cruiser... Switches and doodads that might appeal to the
heart of a five year old, but have no use for those of us in the real world.
Bits of bright metal and twisting knobs that clicker-clack in a manner satisying
to a raccoon, as well as sheet metal consoles and switches that will never see
the light of day again.

What's this go to do with MV's?

(All those with children, back me up on this...)

It'll keep my kids out of the way while I'm knee deep in M-37 and mule guts...

Thanks,
Bill