Re: [MV] Re-cap on home air compressors...

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 23:24:13 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: DaveCole <davidcole@tk7.net>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 19 April 2000 19:51
Subject: Re: [MV] Re-cap on home air compressors...

>A "real" 5 HP compressor draws about 23 amps at 220 volts.

Quite true, about 6.78 input horsepower generously allowing for motor
inefficiency about 10% - 15% so about 5.8HP of mechanical output.

> Sears and others
>advertise "5HP" compressors that only draw about 16-17 amps at 220 volts. That
is
>not a real 5 HP compressor. It is physically impossible to get 5 HP from 16
amps
>at 220 volts. The manufactures stretch the truth incredibly. I don't know how
>they can do that , but basically they are lying.

Well, not lying exactly but a bit sneaky, likely described quite accurately as,
say, "nominal 5HP input" and in reality 4.7HP of electrical input.

Caveat emptor.

Richard
(Southampton - England)