Re: [MV] M35A2 Fuel Pump

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 19:28:05 PDT

Joe Foley <redmenaced@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Now you know where the term foot-pounds came from,...
> foot-pounce!?! As in; how many feet should one jump
> up in the air before he pounces on the breaker bar.
>
> I know,..... I know,....... back in my foxhole...

Ok, very funny. :-) Now, back to reality: If you use the
calibrated-electrical-tape-on-breaker-bar method, the following rules
apply:

* The bar must be horizontal (or very close) for the calibrated tape
  to work right. If it's not, you'll under-torque the lugs.

* Do *NOT* jump on the bar. For that matter, climb onto it VERY SLOWLY
  AND GENTLY, WITHOUT BOUNCING, and DON'T JUMP OFF, or you'll
  over-torque the lugs.

* Repeat the stair-climbing exercise until the bar supports your full
  weight (*without* jumping) and is horizontal. This is really good
  exercise on a deuce, which has 60, count `em, 60 lug nuts.

* You want all of your weight on a foot centered over the tape. If you
  put another foot elsewhere on the bar, or support any significant
  portion of your weight with your hands, your electrical tape will be
  out of calibration. Make sure your belly isn't hung up on the bed of
  the truck. [dodging tomatoes thrown by many of the male MIL-VEH
  readers :-)]

Now, calibrating the electrical tape is pretty straightforward, if you
can solve this little equation:

    (distance from wrench in feet) = 350 / (your weight in pounds)

[Go drink a beer now. You've earned it.]

The goal is to make a torque of 350 foot-pounds. A 350-pound man
standing right on the end of a 1-foot HORIZONTAL breaker bar will make
350 foot pounds of torque. A 175-pound man would have to stand on the
end of a 2-foot breaker bar to generate the same torque. I'm not sure
if the same equation applies to women, too; everybody knows that
attractive women weigh less, per pound, than men of the same weight.
[ducking tomatoes flung by female MIL-VEH readers :-)]

So, if you weight 160 pounds, place the tape about 2' 2" from the
center of the wrench. That tells you where to stand on the bar to
generate the proper torque.

We now return to your regularly-scheduled programming.

P.S.: If anybody can verify that the correct torque is really 350
foot-pounds, please let us know. It's been a long week, and I really
am too lazy to reach over to the bookshelf behind me. :-)

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/