CUCV Starter Relay Bad?

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 20:12:24 PDT

Howdy List,
    Thanks before I even start. Also a big thanks to Julian Burke for the CUCV
manuals, they're a great help. Now for the problem. When starting my CUCV,
sometimes I have the problem that the starter wants to keep on going. Yes, it
does get lots of looks when I start the vehicle & get that wacky sound of the
starter going too, but I think the OD paintjob is enough of an attention getter
for me. After switching the vehicle on & off, taking the key out of the ignition,
and retrying a few times it will finally stop.
    Is this the problem mentioned in the manual of the early relays being bad with
too little a gap? I wouldn't think it would take 16 years for the problem to
surface. Or is it just the relay going bad?
    I'm gonna start looking into the problem tomorrow morning. If it is a bad
relay, is the relay a special item for the CUCV (different than the civilian 12
volt variety) or is it the standard relay? The part number in the manual is
15591718. If it is a special relay, does anyone have any post 1984 NOS starter
relays? Especially if they could ship it in time for a trip I've got to take
Thursday?

THANK YOU,
Brian Mead
1984 M1009 CUCV