Re: [MV] BMW Motorcycle/fakes

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 09:34:44 PDT

Repro and originals... win/win

Once upon a time I had about 7-8 vintage collectable cars... I say 7-8, since
it depended on what month you were talking about... I traded a lot! lol
Anyway, the point of my story is a lot of collectibles became reproductions,
the Ford's Cobra, 1929 SSK Mercedes roadster, 54 Corvette, 29 T-Ford
roadster, etc. These were not even faithful repro's, they were fiberglass
bodies, usually on high performance frames with like drive trains. Yet, when
finished they commanded inordinately high prices (in my opinion). Where the
difference became apparent was on aging. The knockoffs all lost significant
value and the originals gained a lot, until there was soon a huge parity
spread. However, the repros served a multitude of good purposes, and
ultimately it only enhanced the value of the originals.

However, I never faulted anyone for driving a glass 56 T-Bird along side my
real steel 1956 T-Bird... imitation is the ultimate compliment. In the
mil-veh department, I've noticed with admiration .... reproductions are done
almost fanatically accurate. The reward I believe is in the historical
satisfaction and to a lesser degree the final valuation, although mil-vehs
are still behind in pricing from the "shiny vehicles" with like effort
invested. It's why one would pay $150 for a crummy water bottle for a
Ferret!!! We're an odd bunch aren't we? lol

Keep em rollin,

Jack Lee
Ferret Mk 2/3
SUMB w/trailer .......both soon to be hitting the car shows!