Willys L Head Serial Number Help

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 18:08:45 PDT

I'm trying to find a running or rebuildable L head for a neighbors CJ2A. I
found one in my favorite junk yard but the serial number isn't what I am
used to. I thought all the civy engines had the SN on the side (all mine
are) and all the Mil ones had it on top by the water pump (my MB's are).
This engine has a "Willys" and a "Jeep" cast into the head but the serial
number is above the water pump and looks to be "3Jxxx". Wouldn't an M38
motor start with "MC". Could some one shed some light on what this was
from? Does the "3J" mean CJ-3A perhaps?

Also what is a good price these days for a good running motor or a
rebuildable core, I'm comming up with $850 and $150 respectively so far.

Thanks,

je