Repairing Mule decks

From: john rozell (jrozell@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 14:42:13 PDT

I have an M274-A2 mule deck that, like many, is in need of repair. I
have some holes due to impact and some corrosion damage. My question to
all the mule owners on the list is what would be the best, recommended
means of repairing this damage? Would MIG/TIG welding be a way to go?
I have read that magnesium, once it starts burning, is practically
impossible to extinguish. Can it be safely MIG/TIG welded? I have
also found a two-part epoxy that is designed for bonding/filling
metals. Has anyone used this material?
Also, is it possible to determine the history of a vehicle based on it's
manufacturer's serial number? The Marine Corps stenciled numbers on the
mule have been removed and, as part of the restoration, I would like to
learn some of it's history.
Thanks.
John