M-37 battery replacement ?

From: Eva Lehman (lehmans@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 06:13:43 PDT

Hello list.

I hope this is simple and easy. My 52 M-37 sat over the winter with
dead batteries. Yesterday I put two new ones in and put the cables back
in place. EXACTLY as they were. (As these were dead I did not
disconnect the battery-ground cable as the TM states.) Rubber boots
back on after everything was tight. Flip on the ignition switch batt
indicator in the green all seemed ok. As soon as I hit the starter the
outboard pos terminal went crack and arced. Switch off. Rechecked all
connections nothing touching to ground it out (as far as I could see)..
Switch on.. everything green all seemed to work.

DID NOT try the starter again.

Dear experts, what might be going on?

Crud/carbon on the terminals that just burned off?

Something shorted out?

Poltergeists?

The only difference from the TM is that the previous owners put the
battery to battery cable is on the rear terminals v the front.... It
worked before so I don't think this matters.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Daryl Lehman
52' M-37

--