Re: [MV] info on M35 seat

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 16:23:45 PDT

In a message dated 4/25/00 9:53:44 PM Central Standard Time, henrya@jps.net
writes:

<< Does any one have experience with the air ride seats in M35's? I have the
 spring loaded style and am wondering if the air ride is better? >>

To the best of my knowledge there is no "Air Ride seat" in a M35 (Haven't
studied an M35A3, maybe one there). A true air ride seat as used in the
trucking industry is supported with an air cylinder which is tied to the
trucks air system. No air, seat is bottomed out, as air is built up seat
rises to the level you set. Mush more comfortable than either of the below:
The original M35 (and M54) series seats are a metal box with a cushion on
top. Poor comfort but plenty of room between you and steering wheel.
MANY M35's have been fitted with a sprung seat which I believe has its
origins in the M800 series vehicles. (Although the 10 ton M123/125 series has
a similar seat arrangement) A crank under the front of the seat is used to
adjust the ride height. Has a shock absorber looking affair under it. This
is what many erroneously refer to as an "air ride seat" in a deuce. Ride is
somewhat better, but you give up head, leg and tummy room for it. NOTE: To
convert from the original type seat to this you must either also swap the
passenger seat for a 800 series or cut the right side of original drivers
seat box off and reuse as the M35 passenger seat assembly is supported on the
left side by the drivers seat.
Hope the helps,
David
M35A2 (800 series seat)
M36A2 (800 series seat)
Class 530C (on M45A2 chassis) (800 series seat)
M62 (box seat)
M45 w/Leroi Compressor (box seat)
M45A2 (box seat)
M292A2 (box seat)