Army Wagon Identification

From: Heatley, Fred (Greenville) (Fred.Heatley@aimco.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 10:18:49 PDT

I'm trying to locate photos and ANY information on a style of US Army (I'm
guessing) wagon which was probably built for WWII use or shortly after the
war and possibly never put into use. Ringling Brothers Circus bought about
12 of these in 1949 from the gov't (?) and converted them into cage wagons.
Circus employees referred to these as "ammo" wagons.

The wagons were eleven (11') long, with two axles (one near the front of the
wagon and one near the back) with two rubber/pneumatic ties on each axle end
for a total of eight (8) tires. Each wagon had a 5th wheel/wagon tongue
assembly.

Apparently there were sets of drawers on the wagons which could have held
ordnance/ammo or any number of items. I've checked with the ordnance museum
in Aberdeen, MD and they can find no record of any kind of wagon - which
meant to them the wagons would have been "limited standard" or
"non-standard" items.

Other people suggested these could have been wagons built with 40mm (cal?)
guns mounted on them with the drawers being used for ordnance. If this is
the case, obviously the guns would have been taken off the wagons before
they were surplused.

Someone else suggested they could have been kitchen/meal wagons used to
carry meals in the drawers. The wagons were built very sturdily --11 feet in
length with 8 tires and 5th wheel.

If no one on this list has any info, does anyone have any suggestions as to
who else I could contact for information?

Thanks!
Fred Heatley