Fw: [MV] BV 206 Underwater vehicle (floundering amphibians)

From: Mike (tankcity@globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 11:44:35 PDT

Hi Bruce. Your points are well taken. The Stalwart certainly has more power
and manoeverability in water than anything relying only on wheels or tracks
for propulsion. I ran one in a rough sea once; with each wave, the front
end plunged under water so it was like sitting in an aquarium! .....or would
have been except that the rubber seals in the twin roof hatches were
perished so it was more like sitting in the shower with the cold tap on!!!
My reason for nominating it as British Brick of the Century has to do with a
more fundamental design flaw - the engine bay is completely covered by the
cargo hold! In retrofit, the Army fitted a 2 ton Atlas hydraulic crane or
what you gum chewers call a knuckle boom. This cunning piece of apparatus
loads the Stalwart with up to 6 tons of cargo. Imagine you load up and set
off across the lake and in the middle the engine stops. No problem, we'll
use the crane to hurl the cargo over the side so we can get at the engine.
Oops! Can't use the crane unless the engine is running! Glug! Glug! Glug!
No wonder that in all subsequent refits they removed the drives to the Dowty
propulsion units and changed the name from Stalwart Amphibian to Stalwart
High Mobility Vehicle.
Cheers. Mike S.