British vehicle paint jobs

From: Robin Craig (therobincraig@home.com)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 18:30:14 PDT

All I can add is that the Brits, unlike most, are no conformists. In most
units painting vehicles is a filler job for non training days or pre parade
bull shit days. We had a lightweight Land Rover at depot during basic, that
the Duty Room Sgt had a fetish about. As tyre black had just been outlawed
because of some side wall degradation concerns, he had the guys on jankers
polish them with boot polish. The delivery gloss green was kept lustered
with turtle wax and the galvanised trim was painted white, which if you know
anything about painting galvanised material you will know that if you dont
prep it prooperly it comes of in short order. Hence our guys were often
paining it.........It was quite the machine. Oh yes btw a good match for the
engine colours on brit engines is detroit diesel alpine green.