RE: [MV] Cushman 3 wheeler

From: Jim (jwinne@nettally.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 19:37:42 PDT

Hi Mike,

The cushman 3 wheeled, box front scooter was used by the navy for maintenance work at airfields (I think) in the late 40's and through the fifties. They carried parts and tools in the box and when they got to the aircraft, they could stand on the lid and work on the plane. My dad was an ordinance mechanic with federal civil service for 33 years after his service on the carrier in the pacific durring WWII. He used these scooters as part of his daily routine at NAS Jacksonville. When I was about 5 or 6 the next door neighbor bought one as surplus and used to give us kids a ride in the box through the trails in the woods until they finally blew up the motor and sold it a couple years later. They were really neat machines and were not in service all that long. Someone on this list brought this subject up a couple of years ago but I can't remember exactly when. You might check the archives. Sorry I can't narrow it down any closer than that. Good luck, maybe the guy will want it hauled off. (wishful thinking I'm sure)

Jim

Jim Winne MVPA #17216

1967 M-715 Kaiser Jeep Cargo Truck
1983 M-101A1 USMC cargo trailer