Diesel Run Away (was: Won a Deuce, End use certificate?)

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 19:13:21 PDT

>..... I've seen a
>recommendation once to pull off the intake mushroom, and have a buddy
>ready with a board to block off the air intake in case the engine runs
>away the first time you start it.

I did this, not on a truck but a stationary Allis Chalmers 854cuin straight
6. We were firing it up for the first time in probably years. One of my
feinds was ready to do the screwdriver thing on the starter and another
friend told him to hold on a minute. He started looking around and then
picked up a board off the ground then said OK. We're looking at each other
like "what the ?". So he starts it and it takes off, literally. It had a
Bosch in line pump and it seems the rack was stuck wide open which is of
course were it would be for a stationary engine run by a govenor, the
govenor tries to keep the speed up when you've turned it off and this leaves
the pump at WOT (wide open throttle). This is more serious than just running
the engine with the throttle wide open because the internal govenor (at
least in this case) was not able to do anything, the engine would have in
all likelyhood self destructed. So as the engine is accelerating this other
friend cassually steps forward and slaps the board over the turbo intake,
which left a deep dent in it . The thing did not shut down quickly, it
slowed but it took maybe 30 seconds or more to actually die. Good lesson
learned, this is now SOP for all of us.

I've heard that a sufficiently large CO2 fire extinguisher at the ready will
work also.

je