Re: [MV]Shell/ Ferret fluid

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 11:41:12 PDT

   My original intent in posting the difficulties Ed Berkery and I had in
obtaining the correct Shell fluid for our Saladins was done with the intent
and hope of someone coming up with a source for it that we could purchase
this fluid in the US or if need be in the UK. To this end it was a success
as Richard and others have provided both information and an offer to sell
us what we want. Thanks for that.

       It has also brought up more questions and conflicting data.......

>Richard wrote,
>I have just this moment spoken to James Halligan at Shell UK tech.
>...Stearic acid is a lubricosity improver or wetting agent but the nature and
>task of hydraulic oils means they all have something to do this....

       This was what we had been told and was described as "improving
flowabilty".

      .......Its called "Aeroshell Fluid No. 1" or US translated,
"Aeroshell Fluid #1".
>It is exactly the same as Shell Tellus T 15.........

      The Aero Shell Fluid #1 shows on the Shell alternatives list as a
substitute for OM-13 but not on the M.O.D. sheets. This appears to be the
ticket for a match for the oil, however as you have stated it is
expensive. Clavis would, I think, be less costly.

     However, I have two different sheets from Shell that give the
civilian replacements for OM-13 but they don't list the Tellus T 15.
     One Shell list titled "Joint Services Designations and Relevant Shell
Grades" only lists Aero Shell Fluid 1 as a replacement for OM-13
      The other list "Shell Specifications and Shell Group
Products" (revised 1995) lists for NATO O-134 (OM-13) the
following; Aero Shell Fluid 1, Aero Shell Turbine Oil 3, Clavus Oil 15,
Tellus Oil C-10 .

    No mention in either list of Tellus T 15. As you can see it gets
confusing as just what product is actually the direct replacement. All
these oils are listed on Shell data sent to us by Shell themselves.

      Just to muddle this up some more.....I have a M.O.D. listing titled
"Commercial Products Suggested by Oil Suppliers as Being Alternatives to
MOD Specifications for Lubricants Etc."
     Which states that Shell recommends "Clavus Oil 15 or Tellus R 10" The
footnote on this states "Lubricating oil OM-13 -- Clavus oil 15 or Tellus R
10 depending on application."

   So we have Shell listing Aero Shell 1, Turbine Oil 3, Clavus Oil 15,
Tellus Oil C 10 and Tellus Oil R 10 all being replacements for OM-13.
      You can see why we became confused with just one supplier suggesting
5 different oils. Note that Tellus T 15 was not suggested by Shell while
Aero Shell 1 is. Could all these oils be the same?
       I can only wonder why Shell now recommends Tellus T 15 when they
only five years ago listed Tellus R or C 10 as the correct one.
      We will follow up on the data that Tellus T 15 is the same as Aero
Shell and get the spec. sheet from Shell just to be sure.

>If you do want a reference sample for analysis I have several stencilled,
>OD, sealed 1L tins of actual OM 13, you will see plenty no doubt at Beltring
>too.

        Thanks for the kind offer and I hope to talk more with you there.

Richard
>Southampton - England

            Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA