CANADA RETURNS UNKNOWN SOLDIER TO BE ENTOMBED

From: Robin Craig (therobincraig@home.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 21:00:42 PDT

Canada will return the remains of an unknown soldier from Vimy in France on
May 25th to the nations capital Ottawa. There will be some MV involvement,
after a short journey by funeral car the remains will be transferred to a
special adapted 25 pounder and limber towed by an undetermined tractor
 more in a second) to our Parliament Buildings to lie in State for three
days until the afternoon of the 28th, when the remains will be carried on
top of a 9 pounder drawn by horses of the RCMP to our National War Memorial
where a special Tomb has been constructed.

The only glitch to the whole operation is that an M37 has been chosen to be
the tractor for the 25 pounder. This has upset some people here and they are
trying to alert those in charge that a Canadian Military Pattern ( CMP )
Field Artillery Tractor (FAT) would be more appropriate for the job. As
usual those who know are trying to affect something being run by those who
don't know, but are in charge.

Don't take me wrong, it is long overdue that this country do something like
this for our veterans, it is just the M37 is not really appropriate for the
job, its just doesn't fit as well as the CMP FAT for the job, which is what
many WW 2 vets would want to see.

You can start you look around to this event at the following link
 http://www.dnd.ca/millennium/feature%5Fmemoria%5Fe.htm

You can see some of the responses about the CMP FAT and the M37 at this link
http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/8624

I hope you all enjoy this, I will be doing some articles in the future on
this event and the use of MV's for it.

Rgds

Robin Craig

Ottawa Ontario Canada