Re: [MV] MB Jeep Engine Numbers

From: INDUSTELE@aol.com
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 05:47:05 PDT

Adam, there are numerous experts on the serial numbers of motors on this
list; however the question you asked falls in the "less than expert" category
that I can answer. The serial number will indeed be "MBxxxxxx", or
"GPWxxxx", but it will not be on the water pump boss. It will be located on
a small oval space that was actually behind the oil filter on most WWII
jeeps. The later civilian jeeps had their serial numbers on the water pump
boss. I do not know of any military jeep motors from the WWII era that were
marked on the water pump boss. The later M38's and M38A1's were marked on
the water pump boss starting with MC xxx for the M38's and MDxxx for the
M38A1's.

Hope this helps, Tom Campbell - Birmingham, Alabama