Re: [MV] Troop Seats

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 22:58:38 PDT

Cougarjack@aol.com wrote:
> If we're talking M-series here, I'm not sure I remember any "national emergen
> cies" during the production of same. I can't speak for WWII trucks, but the M
> -series various contracts were very specific for materials, strength, etc. I'
> ve never seen this particular contract, (for seat slats) but I'll bet it call
> s out oak, or equivalent. My 2 cents!

I'm the first civilian owner of both of my trucks (a 2.5-ton van, and
a HMMWV). Judging by the treatment they've both obviously received,
the guys in the motor pool never bothered to read "the book" (as in
"by the book"). Oak might be "right", but it wouldn't surprise me in
the least if I saw a truck in the field with slats made from
stud-grade 2x4 pine! Both of my trucks came with plenty of sloppy
field-expedients, extra mounting holes that might have been made with
a drift punch and a hammer, torn-out and mangled parts, etc, and I
can't blame any of it on a previous civilian owner.

I applaud, admire and encourage efforts to do the job "right", but
keep in mind that "right" isn't always "realistic". I guess the best
example is the big hook on the back of my deuce van, made from a bent
foot-long piece of 5/16" square steel bar welded to a roughly
rectangular steel plate, and bolted to the back of my van body with
four randomly-spaced through-bolts with no sealant to keep the water
out. If you saw the same thing on a civilian-owned truck, you'd
probably snort in disgust at the owner's non-original modification and
sloppy workmanship, but mine came right out of the motor pool that
way!

Needless to say, I took off the "BFH", and I plan to try to seamlessly
patch the holes once I finally decide to buy a welder, learn to use
it, and start doing body work on my truck...

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/