Re: [MV] Fw: Humvee Starting problems Try.......

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 05:58:18 PDT

> Folks I had a friend who you to start his diesel with WD-40 said it was
>easier on the vehicle as it had the oil all ready in it.

Have you used WD-40 this way that was recently purchased??? The reason I
ask is that I talked to the WD-40 people at a trade show, mentioned that we
use it for starting engines. Also mentioned that lately the stuff does not
seem to work for that purpose anymore. They said that's because the
propellant used to be butane (or a mix of related light hydrocarbons like
propane, n-butane, iso-butane, etc, which by the way, a certain mix of
iso-butane and propane is an exact replacement for R-12 refrigerant!). It
was the propellant dissolved in the WD-40 product that made it a good
starting fluid. They said that due to California requirements, the were
forced to stop using the hydrocarbon propellant and did so nationwide. I do
not recall what they use now but they admitted that it was not flamable like
before. But then..... maybe they changed it again.

je