Need help with 230 volt AC wiring

From: Bryan Rupp (ruppster@alaskalife.net)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 04:19:56 PDT

I just got a 2 hp military air compressor from DRMO for use on
the portable workshop I plan on setting up on an M105 trailer
to be pulled by my M220 deuce and a half. The electric motor
is set up for 230 volt AC using a four pin plug. I thought
it was wired just as the outlet for my clothes drier but the
drier has only three pins. Can anyone tell me what the
difference is between the three and four pin set-up besides
the number of pins? Is the fourth pin just a ground wire? Is
it possible to replace the four pin plug with a three pin?

Thanks,
Bryan R.
'53 GMC XM220 2.5 Ton Shop Van
'63 M43 Ambulance