RE: [MV] Need manuals and two pin cable for military generator

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 06:27:21 PDT

Bryan,

With reference to your search for the two pin cable. It sounds like the same
cable that Mark Blair has been looking for for the past several months. I
know because I have been trying to locate one for him. So far, no luck. I
talked to a couple of Army mechanics at our museum and was told that the
cable and receptacle were discontinued several years ago. Most of the M109
vans that are now in use, or have been dismounted for use as storage sheds
on base, have had the original two pin receptacle removed. They were
replaced with standard, off-the-shelf, Recreational Vehicle service
connectors. Not perfect, but a suitable field expedient. I am still looking
for a cable for Mark, but I don't hold out much hope. We suspect that there
are still some cables stashed in out of the way storage areas at Army
Reserve and National Guard centers. It may be possible to locate one of
these and trade something for it, since it's likely not being used any more,
but locating one is the biggest problem. The guy who knows where one is
stored probably retired ten years ago :).

My experience with 230 volt wiring is limited, but I would guess that two
wires are connected to the "hot" wires, one to the "neutral" terminal, and
one to frame ground. The Army normally requires that the frame of the
generator be physically connected to a ground rod that has been driven into
the ground. Most other equipment, with the specific exception of light sets,
is also required to be similarly grounded. I wouldn't be surprised if the
fourth wire in your system is an earth ground connection. I know that there
are certified Electricians on the List. maybe one of them will comment.

John