Re: [MV] Need help with 230 volt AC wiring

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 09:57:28 PDT

--- Bryan Rupp <ruppster@alaskalife.net> wrote:
> *This message was transferred with a trial version
> of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
>
> I just got a 2 hp military air compressor from DRMO
> for use on
> the portable workshop I plan on setting up on an
> M105 trailer
> to be pulled by my M220 deuce and a half. The
> electric motor
> is set up for 230 volt AC using a four pin plug. I
> thought
> it was wired just as the outlet for my clothes drier
> but the
> drier has only three pins. Can anyone tell me what
> the
> difference is between the three and four pin set-up
> besides
> the number of pins? Is the fourth pin just a ground
> wire? Is
> it possible to replace the four pin plug with a
> three pin?
+++++++
Check inside the motor connection box and see what
they did. If they used all of the wires then you need
all four. Personally, I can't think why they'd need
the neutral on a 230 volt motor unless they have a 120
volt control circuit, which isn't likely.

You'd better take it to a competent electrician, I
could guess all day, then you'd know for sure.
There's also the possibility that the guy who
connected it that way didn't know what he was doing,
after all it was scrapped from the military.

Joe