Re: [MV] Binocular vehicle accessories.

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 14:55:00 PDT

OK - couldn't resist that line.
    Anyway , I bought 5 pair in case for $45.00 each at a
gun show. Dude had about 30 pair. All brand new, unissued in
box. Damn feeding frenzy. All had reticule grid tilted at
weird angle. 4 had a smoky or hazy "film" on inside optics
that were not noticeable inside brightly lit shriners type
hall but real noticeable outside at dusk. Most 'perfect' of
the litter had "bubbled" paint/coating around outside of
objective on one tube that eventually flaked off.
    All superior to commercial binocs of same price range
($45) (DUH) but glad I didn't pay more. Traded the 4
"lesser" binocs for other neat stuff and we all ended up
happy.
    Have talked to several (3) military users of these and
general consensus was they did the job but weren't up to
Bausch & Lomb or Steiner quality.
    Always wonder when Uncle Sugar dumps really neat stuff
cheap, unopened or unused. Or not.
    FWIW , Ron