Re: [MV] My 230 VAC question - The answer is:

From: ken uhrick (kuhrick@home.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 08:13:19 PDT

At 11:41 PM 5/31/00 -0800, Bryan Rupp wrote:
>*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
>
>I took some time this evening to investigate how the motor was
>wired and had to scratch my head for a few minutes. I would
>have pulled the compressor apart in the first place before
>bothering the list but my wife and I are in the middle of
>moving to another unit at the moment as our current unit is
>to be renovated next month and the boss has told me I'm not
>allowed to play with my new toy till I get everything moved out
>of the basement. Needless to say I'm in trouble, as usual, for
>wasting this evening. :-) Anyhow, since I have gotten several
>different answers curiosity got the best of me and I had to
>figure out what I've got. I cleaned the data label on the
>motor some more. It stated it was made for use with 115 or
>230 single phase, not 230 two phase like I thought. When I
>opened the control box I found four wires coming in from the
>electrical cord. One each of black, red, white, and green.
>Inside the box is a three pole contactor/circuit breaker used
>to control the off/on when the air pressure in the tank is to
>high or gets low. The black and red wires from the electrical
>cord go to the first and second poles, L1 and L2, of the
>contactor on the input side. The white wire goes to a seperate
>terminal on the contactor. The green wire is grounded to the
>metal of the control box. There are only two black wires
>exiting the box going to the motor. They come from the L1 and
>L2 output of the contactor. Now I just need to get base CE to
>install a 230 single phase outlet in the garage of the base
>housing unit we're moving in to. :-)

>yes like i sayed the white wire is the neutral
is this case its use to operate the coil on the relay
and most would just tye it to the green to feed it from a 3 pin dryer
outlet
butt that is unlawful
and can get you knocked on your butt or bader
there is 4 wire dryer outlets mad to traler homes
there mite need to be goten at a wolesaler
and theres pigtail's for them too
REAL big lumber yards mite have them like lowes and the like
and the 10-3 with ground wire too
butt your living on base soo idont know if that helps you any