Deuce gear box

From: Breeden (freebirds@erols.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 17:49:22 PDT

Hey all,

Appreciate all the great responses on the many projects that I've had so far
on my deuce. I'm into the middle of another project on the deuce. Trying
to remove the steering gear box. Reason for trying to remove the steering
gear box is that when you turn the wheel right or left, the shaft that the
pittman arm is hooked to jumps in and out and makes terrible clunking noise,
about every one turn on the steering wheel. I've got the steering wheel
removed, pittman arm off, column loose in the truck, now it looks like you
need to remove the injection pump. Has anyone ever tackled this project?
Don't want to take off more than I need to, but don't see another way to get
the pittman arm shaft out. Also, if I remove the injection pump, will this
take the engine out of time?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Harold