Re: [MV] Making an M-37/M-43 go faster??

From: lou (lou@frontier.net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 07:54:28 PDT

> In a message dated 6/2/00 12:11:50 AM, w7ls@blarg.net writes:
>
> >3000rpm gives about 52 mph or so. 40 mph sure sounds better on the
> >engine, though.

My reference indicates this engine was designed to max out at 3200 rpm with
a top speed of 55 mph, so it sounds like your stock configuration is working
pretty well.

There are a number of little things you can do to increase the efficiency of
an older engine, but a word of caution - consistantly running an old engine
near the top of its range will wear it out much sooner.

Things to try:
1. Decrease the rolling resistance by over-pressuring the tires. I don't
know about military tires but modern radials can be boosted about 10 psi
above the maximum indicated on the tire. They roll better, wear more
evenly, and last longer in interstate service like this (but don't hit a
sharp rock on a gravel road!).
2. Run straight 30 wt oil in the engine with a teflon additive and reduce
the weight of the gear oils to 75 wt., use lockout hubs on the front axle.
3. Check compression to be sure the engine is balanced and up to specs.
4. Use a paper air filter and change it often.
5. Use premium gas, highest octane available (the octane rating doesn't
have anything to do with power but the additives sure make a difference).
6. Install an electronic ignition and new plug wires (and replace the plug
wires every 40 to 60 thou miles.
7. Be very picky when tuning the engine to be sure everything is perfect.
Make sure your timing advance is working as it should, then time the engine
by finding a long steep grade on a high speed road, hit the bottom of the
hill as fast as you can, note your speed about 3/4's of the way up the hill.
Advance the distributor about 1/8 inch and run the hill again. Continue to
do that until there is no further increase in speed and back the distributor
off a hair.
8. Mount a two barrel carb on it.

Do all that and you'll notice the difference in speed and efficiency (better
gas milage!). But - Without doing any of that I drove my M38 over to Mesa
Verde and back (about 60 miles altogether) at 60 mph once. The next day it
began using about 1 qt of oil every 50 miles, and I got to learn how to do a
valve and ring job!

Best of luck, Lou