M422A1 bought but now the questions.

From: INDUSTELE@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 15:21:06 PDT

Fellow Listers,

Just paid a down payment on a M422A1 Mighty Mite (not that expensive, but
didn't have all the cash on me at the time). I already have a M422, so I
know the basics of the Mighty Mite(s). I do have a couple of questions:

This one is red, white and blue. The story that comes with it is that the
Marines didn't want it locally (Alabama) and it just sat there in a crate
(jeep in a crate again), until it was given to the US Post Office, thus the
color scheme. It only has some 8700 miles on the speedometer. My guy claims
he bought it from a rural Alabama post office and drug it home. The white
paint on the hood is flaking off with absolutely no sign of primer or marine
corp green underneath.
A. Is there such a thing as a Mighty Mite in a crate? (Please don't laugh!)
B. Is there such a thing as a Mighty Mite that left the factory unpainted?
C. Is there such a thing as a Mighty Mite being sent direct to the Post
Office in Red White and Blue colors.
D. This has a metal hard top. Haven't seen it yet, it's in the barn. I saw
a recent article in Army Motors that mentioned a Hard Top. Is there a hard
top that is suppose to be on these things?

BTW. It's complete, with the lightweight windshield, runs pretty well.
Master cylinder rebuilt and installed but still mushy brakes (bleeding brakes
planned). Missing seats, and has homemade front bumper. Tail gate is open
and apparently missing the spare tire carrier. Whole thing is in a barn
under some junk so couldn't see very well. Will retrieve and trailer home
tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share on this thing. Wife's not too
happy about yet another jeep, but what can I say. It followed me home, and
I'm going to keep it.

Tom Campbell - Birmingham, Alabama