Re: [MV] M422A1 bought but now the questions.

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 22:01:01 PDT

Tom wrote:
>Just paid a down payment on a M422A1 Mighty Mite ....
> ..I do have a couple of questions:
>
>This one is red, white and blue. The story that comes with it is that the
>Marines didn't want it locally (Alabama) and it just sat there in a crate
>(jeep in a crate again), until it was given to the US Post Office, thus the
>color scheme. It only has some 8700 miles on the speedometer. My guy claims
>he bought it from a rural Alabama post office and drug it home. The white
>paint on the hood is flaking off with absolutely no sign of primer or marine
>corp green underneath.

>A. Is there such a thing as a Mighty Mite in a crate? (Please don't laugh!)

       I have done considerable research on Mites and have NEVER seen any
data that would indicate that they were crated. There are several photos
of them leaving the factory (on Plymouth road in the Detroit area) and
being shipped on double deck 85' auto cars (railroad). Other photos show
them being unloaded at Marine bases on the same type of cars.

>B. Is there such a thing as a Mighty Mite that left the factory unpainted?

      Anything is possible......however the contracts specified that they
would be painted Marine Corps semi-gloss green. Also, the subcontractors
(there is one a stone's throw from my house) painted the parts before
shipping them to AMC. The USMC registration numbers were not applied
until they were received by the Marines.

>C. Is there such a thing as a Mighty Mite being sent direct to the Post
>Office in Red White and Blue colors.

      I do have some data that mentions that the Postal Service was looking
into the possible use of them. However, at nearly the cost of a new
Cadillac , I don't think this was seriously considered. Also, this was
before the 422-A1 was in production.

>D. This has a metal hard top. Haven't seen it yet, it's in the barn. I saw
>a recent article in Army Motors that mentioned a Hard Top. Is there a hard
>top that is suppose to be on these things?

      From the factory, I would say no. As an add on, who knows? There
were some Mites that were Arctic tested. A fuel burning Arctic heater was
available from the Marine Depots.

>BTW. It's complete, with the lightweight windshield,

      As they all were when delivered but hard to find now.....

>runs pretty well.
>Master cylinder rebuilt and installed but still mushy brakes (bleeding brakes
>planned). Missing seats, and has homemade front bumper.

     There was a Marine replacement bumper that looks a little "homemade".

>Tail gate is open
>and apparently missing the spare tire carrier.

      Spare tire carrier's were not original equipment when delivered. This
was a later modification.

>Whole thing is in a barn
>under some junk so couldn't see very well. Will retrieve and trailer home
>tomorrow afternoon.

        Great, more info is needed to make a informed evaluation of the
originality of this vehicle. Sn# and DOD would help.

                   Jim

James T. Gilmore
2565 Wiethoff, Inkster Michigan 48141
313-5618826 (Voice)