Re: [MV] Radio

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 22:18:21 PDT

"Jock J. Jones" <jockjones@juno.com> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what would be the correct radio to mount in my
> 1951 M-37?

That's a common question... without an easy answer. There are
literally dozens of different radio sets, spanning at least two
generations of radio equipment, which would be correct in an M37.

Many of the common short-range tactical sets which might have been
used in the M37 during the 1950s and early to mid 1960s are listed on
my "1950's Vehicular Radio Sets" page on my web page. There were many
other radio sets in that era which are not listed there, such as
medium-range HF sets like the AN/GRC-19, the AN/VRC-24 set used for
communicating with aircraft, etc. Some M37s were used as
communications shelter carriers, and could have just about anything in
the back.

The M37 was still in use when those radio sets started to be replaced
by newer radios, including the VRC-12 series, the AN/GRC-106, etc. I
have an installation manual for one of those dozens of newer radio
sets on my web page. It includes a diagram which shows some of the
many combinations of different radio sets which might be installed in
one M37. That diagram is be no means comprehensive... it just shows
general locations for some of the more common radios which might be
used in a single truck along with the particular radio set described
in that manual.

So, there isn't an easy answer for you, but on the other hand, you
have a LOT of options, depending upon what period you want your truck
to represent, how you want to use the radios, what radios you happen
to stumble upon, etc.

I should point out that for any of the military-surplus radios, it is
illegal to transmit without an appropriate license. Much (but not all)
of the surplus gear happens to be able to transmit within one or more
of the amateur radio ("ham radio") bands, and thus it's possible to
use many (but not all) of the radios with a ham radio license, with
some limitations.

Also, if you plan to use those radios, consider how you'll fix and
maintain them... I fix my own radios, but many folks are unwilling or
unable to do that.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/